Wednesday, April 09, 2008

An old friend - once a very close friend - dropped me a line today that set me to thinking about my life - yesterday, today and tomorrow. It brought to mind many conundrums I have mulled over before like the nature versus nurture question, about what ingredients in a woman's personality drives her decision-making process.
I have always attributed my own choices to circumstance. Amma often says that feeling responsible for my family was only a convenient scapegoat for my own ambitions. Perhaps she is right to some extent - couldn't I have done my duty towards them without leaving India, without choosing to pursue years of expensive education, without claiming complete independence? I could have I suppose - but in my defense I was genuinely impatient to begin contributing. I didn't see myself as ever being more than a burden with an arts degree and some teaching job waiting for me that paid exactly as much as Amma was getting paid. I couldn't wait until a marriage Amma had financed came to fruition to explore opportunities for a lucrative career, for the possibility of earning in a currency that could convert into enough Rupees to wipe that perpetual look of worry on Amma's face. Besides - I was 19! Only the most grandiose schemes occur to one when one is 19! I would never have thought of a ladder where an elephant could take me to new heights. You know what I mean?
Whether it was selfish ambition or age and circumstance - where it took me was a life of perpetual challenges, uphill climbs and the constant struggle to stay afloat. I take pride in the fight it put in me - though when people talk about strife building character, I wonder if that is necessarily true in my case. I have not visibly improved much -but I have learned to curb an acid tongue and hair-trigger anger. Having many roomates who dont speak your language can help you do that. I am still irresponsible and do most hair-raisingly important things at the last minute - but now I have the resourcefullness to correct my own mistakes. Almost having to go home mid-way through your precious education because you forgot to fill out a form will do that. But in true qualities that define character - honesty, sacrifice, kindness, generosity, fairness, dependability, strength of mind - I do not beleive I have changed for the better. Rather - I am more ruthless in acheiving an end, more cautious in trusting others, more focused on protecting myself and my assets, less open with every thought and desire. I even feel less guilty when I prioritize myself or my need over someone else's - I am more easily convinced that after so many lonely hard years, I deserve to take care of myself.
Apparently flying without a safety net for many years enhances those qualities in me that sent me soaring off on my own in the first place. I must then conclude that circumstances have nurtured in me only that which my nature possessed in the first place - selfishness and ambition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written. For someone who was 19 thinking on the lines which brought you here rather than pursuing an arts degree and some teaching job [w/ no offense to either of these] takes some courage. Yes, nothing in life comes easy and the particular line about the true qualities that define character, what makes you think you haven't changed for the better? Perhaps you already have. From the lines I read, I thought you did. Maybe I am missing something. You come across as someone who has achieved what you set out looking for but theres also a tinge of emptiness, somewhere....