Friday, April 04, 2008

I just saw Jodhaa Akbar on one of those wonderful sites where you probably just handed over your identity to be stolen and your credit to be looted - but how well worth it for the free movies!
I loved the movie - not because I take Ashutosh Gowariker's romantic spin on the most renowned Mughal ruler and his still foggy relationship with a Rajput princess at his word. But because it was wonderful to suspend intellect for a while and not think about the books I'd read about Jodhaa actually being Akbar's daughter-in-law. I also firmly suppressed the niggling thought that Akbar had a harem full of many wives and concubies who would've shared his affections along with Jodhaa if she had indeed been his wife. Instead I chose to buy into the beautiful tale of true love and secularism that the movie told and I was well rewarded for it.
The story-telling was so comfortingly without bells and whistles, that it was refreshingly absorbing. The events unfolded like your grandmother would've told it to you right before you fell asleep. The love embellishments to the story satisfied even my romantic streak and it helps that the beauty of both Akbar and Jodhaa and the splendid palaces surpassed what even the most exacting imagination would've dreamed up.
Aishwarya captivated only with her beauty - her Rajput princess lacked the fire that would've enslaved a great Emperor. But Hrithik more than made up for her mask-like perfection by becoming, embodying, channelling Akbar. I will never think of that historical giant without seeing the actor's beautiful face. The movie shouldve been named Akbar Jodhaa - because it was Akbar who shone brightly troughout the movie. Every emotion - anger, arrogance, intrigue, desire,devotion - lived in Hrithik's acting so intensely that I quite forgot he is a flesh and blood man of today and not the mythical prince of fairy tales. I have not lost myself in a story so much in a long time.
Never fear - I have not turned into a self proclaimed film critic. I simply lack desi kindred spirits to bore with these thoughts :). Let me know what you thought of the movie too if you've seen it.
Have a wonderful weekend folks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmm, Interestingly enough, I found myself arguing with my friend that Hritik outshone Aishwarya with his performance as Akbar. No doubt, Aishwarya did for once "act" so to say in this movie but I am glad someone agrees with me on this. :-)

Anonymous said...

Collection of Actor Photos and Videos ,Gallery, Wallpapers, Latest movies, only at

http://www.hrithiktheactor.com